Wiawso College of Education was founded in February 13, 1952 and was temporarily housed in a rented apartment in Kokomlele – Accra. It was known as Wiawso Body Corporate Training College with Mr. J. T. N. Yankah as Acting Principal. The College was later relocated to Kumasi within the precincts of the Anglican Diocese of Kumasi.
In September 1964, the Ministry of Education Directed the College with 29 Pioneer male students and 4 Tutors namely Mr. J.T.N Yankah acting Principal, Mr. B. A. Quarcoo Senior Housemaster, Mr. E. O. Nortey a tutor and Mr. R. S. A. Kwarteng, the College Clerk to move to its present Permanent buildings at Sefwi Wiawso. Per the directive, the college was to continue to be under the management of the Anglican Church with a new board of Governors to be constituted with membership based at Wiawso.
The first batch of Students went on their practical teaching field work in some selected schools in and around Wiawso in 1964. In 1974, the college admitted the first batch of female students who were thirty-two in number.
Since its establishment the college popularly called WATICO and now new Legon of the Western-North , has maintained its original purpose of providing training courses for its students. From 2004/2005 academic year, the college offered a 3 year Diploma in Basic Education but currently offers a Four –year degree Course in Basic Education in addition to its sandwich programmes with emphasis on Science, Mathematics and Technical Education.
Wiawso College of Education which is firmly rooted in its motto: Cordi Manui et Capiti, a latin phrase which means ‘with heart, hands and head’ is poised to produce intelligent and dynamic teacher with high moral fiber.